Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Teens & Technology

I have written to parents in the past about teens and technology. However, I was recently reminded about the subject and thought it important enough to address again.

Technology is everywhere. Every aspect of our lives is touched in some way by technology. Whether it be cell phones, Ipads, ATM machines, portable DVD players (and the list could go on), we can't seem to get away from it!

Unfortunately, parents many times "assume" that teenagers know how to use this technology. Now, while teenagers know how to use technology they really don't know how to use it! Hopefully the following thoughts will help you understand what I mean.

1. As a parent, take the time to acquaint yourself with all the technology that your children and teenagers use. (I understand that this can be an intimidating task but it is important!)

2. As a parent, teach your children how to use technology. 1 Corinthians 10:31 says, "Whether therfore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God." Teenagers need to be taught to use technology in the right way - a way which glorifies the Lord!

3. As a parent, you must "inspect what you expect." Now, although this will take effort on your part as a parent and although it may not be pleasantly received by your children and teenagers, it is a very necessary step. If you've taken the time to understand the technology yourself, and you've taken the time to teach them how to use the technology, then take the time to make sure they are using the technology in the proper way. Proverbs 29:15b says, "...a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame."

4. If, after following these first 3 points you find that your children/teenagers are not using technology properly, please don't have a "knee-jerk" reaction and simply take the technology away. Go back to steps 1-3 and ask yourself, "Do I understand how this technology works and what it has the ability to do?" "Have I instructed them in the proper use of this technology?" "Have I been holding them accountable for how they've been using this technology?" It may be necessary for you to have your children take a break from the technology for awhile but be sure that it includes plenty of Biblical instruction.

"All Scripture is given is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine (what is right), for reproof (what is wrong), for correction (how to get right), for instruction in righteousness (how to stay right): that the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works." (2 Timothy 3:16-17)

Computers began to become household items when I was a young teenager. My father bought our first computer when I was 12. I was intrigued with computers and began to teach myself how to use them. I learned that I could hook a telephone line up to a modem, type in a phone number, and visit "bulletin boards." (Remember, this was in the days before the internet and "unlimited" calling plans.) The online shopping mall that I visited was in California. While I did not get in trouble because of what I was viewing online, the phone call itself cost a lot of money. My parents hit the roof when the $800 phone bill arrived in the mail. Not that I'm blaming my parents, but had they taken the time to find out what that computer could do, then instruct me on how to correctly use that new technology, and then check up on me, they could have saved me a lot of "weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth" and saved themselves some money!

No comments: