Monday, July 19, 2010

"But make me thereof a little cake first..."

This story in 1 Kings 17 about Elijah being provided for by a widow woman many times is used to illustrate the principle of putting God first. However, I believe it has an even more practical application for us that we many times overlook. Put the man of God - your pastor - first! Allow me to illustrate.

My son, Jeremiah, started cutting grass this summer in order to earn money for camp, etc. Because of his age, though, I have had to drive him, and the equipment, to each house and provide some supervision.

Because of being out of town, one of the yards that he takes care of needed to be cut today! Because of the forecast - They called for rain in the afternoon - I had planned to go home at lunch and take him to get it done.

However, just as I had changed and was getting ready to leave, our senior pastor called. One of the senior couples in our church needed a ride home from the doctor's office. Pastor had planned to ask me to pick them up but when he realized what my plans were, he told me that he would take care of it and for me not to worry about it but to get the yard cut.

The Spirit of God prompted me, though, to press my senior pastor to allow me to minister to this couple (and to be a help to him). I told him that I could take care of it and then help my son get the yard cut. He finally agreed to allow me to do it stating that he had some matters that he needed to attend to in the afternoon as well. He thanked me and we ended our conversation.

I quickly drove to the doctor's office, picked the couple up and took them home. I hurried home, picked up my son (and daughter who is my son's "employee"), and headed to the particular home that needed to be tended to. As we arrived, the storm clouds began to gather. In my mind I told myself that if it began to rain, we'd just have to accomplish it another day.

As we were cutting the grass, the clouds continued to gather and I knew it was merely a matter of time before the rain started.

As my son was nearing the end, sure enough, the skies opened up and it begain to sprinkle. We quickly finished, loaded everything up, and then headed home. As we were driving home it began to rain a little heavier.

I began to think of this passage in 1 Kings 17:13 where Elijah instructed the widow woman that if she would provide for his needs first, that the Lord would miraculously provide for her needs. I believe that most of us know the rest of the story. As I said earlier, we so often use that story to illustrate the priciple of putting God first. However, let me encourage you to do the following. If you have a pastor, find some way in which you can put him first and be an encouragement to him. Maybe you could cut his grass. Or volunteer to watch his children so that he can take his wife on a date. Or make him his favorite dessert. Think creatively. The Lord will bless your efforts to honor your pastor!

No comments: